TotalEnergies says it has reopened Saudi refinery closed after attacks

TotalEnergies restarts Satorp refinery in Saudi Arabia after April air strikes, restoring output to 230,000 barrels per day.

TotalEnergies restarts Satorp refinery in Saudi Arabia after April air strikes, restoring output to 230,000 barrels per day. | Contesto: cronaca

Punti chiave

  • TotalEnergies says it has reopened Saudi refinery closed after attacks

Contesto

French oil giant TotalEnergies announced on Wednesday that it has restarted its Satorp refinery in Saudi Arabia, resuming operations in mid-April after the facility was shut down due to damage from air strikes during the Iran war. The company said the refinery, located on the kingdom's east coast, had been operating at a capacity of 230,000 barrels per day since April 14. The restart followed what TotalEnergies described as “the events of 8 April,” which affected three units at the site and led to its closure as a safety precaution. The undamaged units were brought back online, allowing the refinery to return to partial production. Satorp is a joint venture between Saudi national oil company Aramco, which holds a 62.5 percent stake, and TotalEnergies, which owns the remaining 37.5 percent. The facility is one of the largest refining and petrochemical complexes in the region, with a nameplate capacity of 400,000 barrels per day before the shutdown. The current output of 230,000 b/d represents roughly 57 percent of its total capacity, indicating that the damaged units remain offline. The air strikes on April 8 were part of a broader escalation in the Iran war, which has targeted critical energy infrastructure across the Gulf region. The Satorp refinery, crucial for processing crude oil into gasoline, diesel, and other products, had been a strategic asset for both Saudi Arabia and France. Its shutdown had raised concerns about supply disruptions in global oil markets, though TotalEnergies did not specify the extent of the damage or provide a timeline for full repairs. The restart comes amid heightened tensions in the region, where repeated attacks have tested the resilience of energy supply chains. Analysts have noted that the ability to quickly restore operations at Satorp reflects the robust emergency protocols of Aramco and TotalEnergies, but the lingering damage to three units underscores the vulnerability of such facilities to wartime strikes. Looking ahead, TotalEnergies and Aramco face the challenge of repairing the affected units while maintaining output from the rest of the refinery. The company has not disclosed whether insurance claims or government...

Lettura DEO

Decisione di validazione: publish

Risk score: 0.1

Il testo è stato ricostruito dai dati editoriali disponibili senza aggiungere fatti non presenti nel record sorgente.

Indicatore di affidabilità

Verificata — Alta confidenza. Fonti affidabili confermano la notizia.

Il sistema a semaforo

Ogni articolo su DEO include un indicatore di affidabilità:

  • 🟢 Verificata — Alta confidenza. Fonti affidabili confermano la notizia.
  • 🟡 In evoluzione — Confidenza moderata. Alcuni dettagli potrebbero ancora cambiare.
  • 🔴 Contestata — Bassa confidenza. Fonti in conflitto o incertezze rilevanti.

Questo sistema esiste perché chi legge merita di sapere non solo cosa è successo, ma anche quanto la notizia è solida.


Categoria: cronaca